WinterDASH 5K obstacle course returning to Bayfield, Wis.
Returning to Mt. Ashwabay in Bayfield, Wisconsin, after a successful debut last March, the WinterDASH will again challenge participants to overcome obstacles over a 5K off-road course. Part of the annual Bayfield Winter Festival, March 1-3, 2013, WinterDASH will take place Saturday, followed on Sunday by the 19th annual Run on Water, a 4.5.-mile race on foot, skis, ice skates, snowshoes and bikes across frozen Lake Superior from Bayfield to Madeline Island and back.
The three-day festival also includes ice golfing, dogsled rides, broomball, tubing, snow kiting as well as indoor activities.
The WinterDASH in particular promises to be bigger, better and crazier than last year, said Pete Kulenkamp of the Mt. Ashwabay Operations Team.
"Some of the 15 obstacles are silly, some are difficult, and some are puzzles designed to challenge your brain when you're physically exhausted, but all are fun," he said. "It was new last year, and we had 40 locals serve as guinea pigs to make sure the idea was functional and that it was a good idea to launch the event. We expect to have between 150 and 200 participants this year."
For more information and to register for the WinterDASH and/or Run on Water races, go to www.winterfestival.com.
- New: Great Lakes Marathon Series
- Research money raised by Callie Rohr Memorial Canoe Race, June 8-9
- 2013 Tour of America's Dairyland races set
- Backroads Banderdinker celebrates paddlesports
- Upper Midwest Endurance Challenge announced
- 20 mile of singletrack groomed for snow biking in Marquette, Mich.
- Porcupine Mountains Trail Marathon to debut Oct. 5
- 30-mile Mt. Borah Epic added to CAMBA Festival of Trails
- WinterDASH 5K obstacle course returning to Bayfield, Wis.
- Mad City 100K to serve as national championship in 2013, 2014