Inaugural Wolf Tracks Rendezvous to be held Feb. 4
Minocqua Winter Park is adding a new 43K cross-country ski marathon to the event calendar this ski season. The demise of the long-standing Badger State Games, particularly the Nordic ski races held for 25 years on the first weekend in February, was the catalyst for the creation of the new race in Minocqua, Wisconsin.
Minocqua Winter Park staff have mapped a one loop course, starting and ending at the chalet, that incorporates many of the best and most challenging trails at the cross-country skiing facility. The course will be groomed for both classic and skating and there will be both classic and freestyle divisions with separate wave starts.
The Wolf Tracks Rendezvous will serve as a qualifying race for the American Birkebeiner and Kortelopet, meaning skiers of the Minocqua race can submit their time to Birkie officials in order to move up to an earlier wave start the big race three weeks later.
The race is named after the Wolf Tracks Trail at Minocqua Winter Park where actual wolves are occasionally seen by skiers. For more information about the wolf Tracks Rendezvous, go to minocquawinterpark.org.
- New: Great Lakes Marathon Series
- Research money raised by Callie Rohr Memorial Canoe Race, June 8-9
- 2013 Tour of America's Dairyland races set
- Backroads Banderdinker celebrates paddlesports
- Upper Midwest Endurance Challenge announced
- 20 mile of singletrack groomed for snow biking in Marquette, Mich.
- Porcupine Mountains Trail Marathon to debut Oct. 5
- 30-mile Mt. Borah Epic added to CAMBA Festival of Trails
- WinterDASH 5K obstacle course returning to Bayfield, Wis.
- Mad City 100K to serve as national championship in 2013, 2014