SISU Ski Fest, Jan. 14-15, now a Birkie/Korte qualifier
Some course changes have been a focus for ABR Ski Trails owner Eric Anderson. "The start of the 42K is revised to be wider for a more friendly start. Basically, the first 5K is up to 50 feet wide and no major climbs or descents. The first major climb is at about 5.5K," he said. Anderson said he also eliminated two climbs and two descents from one of the more difficult loops.
Other course improvements include a wider start area for 21K and no major climbs until 3K in that race. Both races have more spectator viewing areas for the first half kilometer. The race start times will also be staggered so participants should not have difficulty passing other racers.
The racecourse will be shortened by one block, ending by the Ben Franklin store on Aurora Street in downtown Ironwood.
The Taste 'n Tour, sponsored by ABR, is a unique 10K tour for people that want to get out on the SISU trail, participate in the festivities, but aren't concerned about being timed. The Taste 'n Tour will include four food stations, including one dedicated to desserts. Thirteen restaurants are now sponsoring this event including Breakwater, The Pines, Brewster's, Elk & Hound, Manny's, Maplewood Steakhouse, Golden Dragon, Olde Suffolk Ale House, Steep Creek Cafè, The Pastry Kitchen and Rigoni's Bakery. Moijakka, a Finnish soup, will be supplied to the marathon and half marathon participants by Ben's Place.
New at the SISU Ski Fest this year will be the Lapset Loppet, a children's race, sponsored by River Valley Bank. It will be held at ABR on Friday, January 14. The free 2K and 5K events will be start at 1 p.m. The 2K will not be timed, whereas the 5K will be. Hot chocolate and cookies will be served, and all participants will receive a finisher's medallion.
Orvana Minerals Corp. has come on board to sponsor the Heikki Lunta Half Marathon, and SISU is still searching for a sponsor for the full marathon. Visit the website listed below for details on becoming a sponsor.
Visit www.sisuskifest.com for more information.
- New: Great Lakes Marathon Series
- Research money raised by Callie Rohr Memorial Canoe Race, June 8-9
- 2013 Tour of America's Dairyland races set
- Backroads Banderdinker celebrates paddlesports
- Upper Midwest Endurance Challenge announced
- 20 mile of singletrack groomed for snow biking in Marquette, Mich.
- Porcupine Mountains Trail Marathon to debut Oct. 5
- 30-mile Mt. Borah Epic added to CAMBA Festival of Trails
- WinterDASH 5K obstacle course returning to Bayfield, Wis.
- Mad City 100K to serve as national championship in 2013, 2014