Second annual BirkieTour to take place January 22
"The tour is a noncompetitive, untimed, fun event using the portions of the Birkie, Birkie Classic and Kortelopet trails," said Ned Zuelsdorff, executive director of ABSF. "Over 550 skiers registered for our first BirkieTour and we are expecting even more this year. Skiers told us they had a great time and many have already registered for the January event."
The BirkieTour events begin at Telemark Resort. Skiers should plan to begin the Tour between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
The BirkieTour will have aid stations at various points along the course offering water and HEED electrolyte drinks. Skiers are encouraged to carry additional energy products and food.
Each finish line will offer food to the skiers including chili and hot dogs, donated by Marketplace Foods, and Swiss Miss hot chocolate. Buses at each finish area will return skiers to the Telemark Resort parking lots.
"BirkieTour participants will all receive a great long-sleeve event T-shirt and pin," Zuelsdorff said. "Best of all, you'll be skiing, either classic or skate, on one of the best cross-country ski trail systems in the world. We invite everyone to come out with their friends and family, and enjoy a supported day on the trail."
To learn more about the BirkieTour or to register for the event, go to www.birkie.com, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715/634-5025. The BirkieTour is sponsored by Hammer Nutrition, Becker Law, Gear West, ActivEdge and Marketplace Foods.
More than 8,000 skiers are expected to register for the 38th anniversary American Birkebeiner and Kortelopet on February 26. Another 3,000 are expected for shorter races and events that weekend. To learn more about North America's largest and most prestigious cross-country ski race or the BirkieTour, log on to www.birkie.com.
- New: Great Lakes Marathon Series
- Research money raised by Callie Rohr Memorial Canoe Race, June 8-9
- 2013 Tour of America's Dairyland races set
- Backroads Banderdinker celebrates paddlesports
- Upper Midwest Endurance Challenge announced
- 20 mile of singletrack groomed for snow biking in Marquette, Mich.
- Porcupine Mountains Trail Marathon to debut Oct. 5
- 30-mile Mt. Borah Epic added to CAMBA Festival of Trails
- WinterDASH 5K obstacle course returning to Bayfield, Wis.
- Mad City 100K to serve as national championship in 2013, 2014