Rob Bignell, an award-winning journalist from Wisconsin, has combined his talents and outdoor interests to produce a practical guide for day-hiking with kids.
The Dunn County News reported on the Menomonie native's latest project in a recent feature.
Loaded with personal anecdotes and tips, “Hikes with Tykes” provides a step-by-step guide to everything an adult needs to know about hiking with children, including how to:
• Find kid-appropriate trails Keep kids properly dressed for the wilds
• Figure out how much water and food to bring
• Cross rough terrain
• Prevent children from getting bored on the trail
• Treat injuries from blisters to broken bones
• Handle getting lost or being forced to stay the night in the woods
Bignell was the editor of the Prescott Journal in 2001, when it was named Wisconsin’s Weekly Newspaper of the Year. He now writes, hikes and lives in Southern California.