Showing that an adult cause can include some childish fun, the Miwaukee River Greenway Coalition has organized an all-comers "Capture the Flag" game in Kern Park on Saturday.
The group is working to develop the paths along the Milwaukee River for long-term recreational uses, and the outing in the park will help bring people up-to-speed on their work. More importantly, it will be good fun; although not necessarily clean.
Registration starts in the park at 1:30 p.m. Games start at 2 p.m.
I have to thank Jeanne Salmon, the coalition's outreach coordinator, for providing the rules for Saturday and future use.
Capture the Flag:
1. Divide groups into two teams, marked by face paint; each player receives a sock to hang out the back of their pants.
2. Each team must hide their flag in their territory, and it must be visible from three sides.
3. Each team has a jail, which houses trespassers who are caught.
4. The game begins when each team has hidden their flag. No “puppy guarding” flag; you must be 5 feet away from your team’s flag.
5. The object of the game is retrieve the other team's flag, and bring it to your jail.
6. If your sock is pulled while on the opposing team's territory, you must go to jail for 3 minutes. After being released from jail your sock is returned, and you have a free pass to get back to your side.
7. If your sock is pulled while carrying the flag, you must drop the flag and go to jail.
8. The game ends when a team brings the opposing team’s flag to their jail. A trumpet is sounded to announce the end of the game.
9. To make this Regiments Run, each team is given 2 flags. Both of opposing team's flags must be brought back to your jail to end. (This version of game used with very large numbers of people for longer game length.)